Monday, November 14, 2016

1.3 Parenting Tips



I feel like I've barely even closed my eyes when the shrill sound of the alarm wakes me. Oh, and I was having such a nice dream just now...


 Careful that my bare feet don't get wet with the puddles, I make my way to the fridge. Today I won't go to work without breakfast!


 I decide on something quick and easy - a meal replacement beverage. Preston the crocodile looks on disapprovingly.


 This time, when the car pool honks, I'm ready. It's another long day of work. I get to meet a couple of my co-workers, but it's stressful. I've never been a people person.


I let the car pool take me straight home from work. I'm hungry, so I grab another can of the hopefully somewhat nutritious diet drink. Sure, I'm not under time pressure now and could easily cook a meal, but the rancid carbonara from the other night is taking up all the counter space. I really can't be bothered to clean that up just now.


 I have other things on my mind. Giovanna, this time you're going down!


 I am surprised to see that Giovanna has given birth and brought her new daughter along.


I am even more surprised when she simply puts the baby down on the sidewalk in front of the house.

"Uh, you can bring her inside if you want," I offer.

"Nah, it's fine," Giovanna says, "You've gotta start toughening them up early. Remember, I know how this works - I've got two of these at home already."


"I'm kind of jelly of you right now," Giovanna admits as we sit down and begin our game. "Living the wild life, having no one to answer to but yourself." She sighs wistfully. "Ah, I remember those days..."


 "Really?" I ask with genuine disbelief. "I honestly can't believe that anyone would be jealous of me right now. I mean, look around," I gesture towards the room. "There are puddles everywhere, garbage is piling up..." I sigh.


"This place is so crappy, I don't even have a computer set up yet," I continue. "Yesterday I went to the library just so I could work on my book a little."


 "I can't remember the last time I've been at the library when it wasn't for children's story hour," Giovanna complains. "These kids are going to drive me nuts."


 In the meantime, the infant outside quietly observes the stars appearing in the sky above her.


 And finally I manage to beat Giovanna!


 She congratulates me and heads outside to pick up her daughter.


I am shocked to find some gross old newspapers all around my front entrance. Where are my manners? I have guests over! I quickly pick them up and toss them in the trash.


As I clean up, my thoughts wander. Without even noticing what I am doing, I sit down to contemplate. Yes, I do that sometimes.

It's strange to think that Giovanna has everything most sims could want - a husband, three children, probably a nice house with a garden outside the city walls - but she still does not seem happy. It makes me consider what I truly want in my life.


 In the meantime, Giovanna is inside, seeing to her daughter's needs.


 I jump up in shock when I realize that I have no idea how long I've been out here. Manners!


 Before going back inside, I quickly check the mailbox. Bills, of course. I pay them and rejoin Giovanna.


 She asks me to play another game of chess - a friendly match this time, with no chess league ranks at stake.

The baby rests quietly on the floor beside the dining table and some puddles of water.


Now, with the pressure gone, I manage to defeat her on the first try. Giovanna is gracious as ever.


I realize that I haven't fed Preston the crocodile or Charlie the seahorse even once since I moved in. Well, they aren't technically my pets anyway. They came with the house - along with the broken plumbing.

"Come on, let's have another pillow fight," Giovanna urges. "It's traditional after chess."


The baby starts wailing, but Giovanna continues climbing the stairs, unperturbed.

"Don't you... need to take care of that?" I ask.

"Nah, she'll be fine," Giovanna says, "You gotta teach those little shits who's boss from day one, or they'll walk all over you when they're grown up."

Well, as Giovanna likes to point out, she's already raised two children. I don't question her knowledge on this and follow her upstairs.


The pillow fighting is as fun and relaxing as it was the day I met Giovanna.


 From upstairs, we barely even hear the baby screaming.


Finally though, Giovanna takes pity on her newborn and picks her up.


 "Well, it was fun," she says, "But I guess I've gotta go now."


 As Giovanna leaves, I stare after her and realize that she has become a very deer dear friend to me.


I'm getting sleepy, so I go back upstairs. Tonight I try the other side of the bed to see if it's as comfy as the one I usually sleep on. Turns out pillow fighting makes the pillows all soft and fluffy...



5 comments:

  1. Every time I feel like a bad mom, I'll think about Giovanna's advice. XD Sim parents are the worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Idk Owly, Giovanna has three kids after all--she must know a thing or two! XD

      Nah, sim parents ARE the worst. And I'm sure you're not a bad mom ever <3

      Delete
  2. The floors are still flooded? Things sure are piling up around Gloria's house. xD At least she paid the bills.

    Did the crocodile and seahorse really come with the house? :O Those were some nice pics of Preston.

    Giovanna is a great friend but terrible mom! Her advice has to be taken with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hoping the puddles will dry up by themselves... I thought they did that?! But these ones are really stubborn.

      The crocodile and seahorse did come with the house, yes! They were part of the move-in challenge with the broken plumbing.

      Sims are the worst parents XD

      Delete
  3. LOL oh my god hahahaahahah. Best parenting tips. Great pets. Loving this. :D

    ReplyDelete