Thursday, November 17, 2016

1.15 A Second Chance


Another beautiful day in Shang Simla.


For breakfast I grab another tub of ice cream. Don't judge.


I'm sure I'll burn off the excess calories on my way down the many steps.


There's some more sight-seeing on today's agenda. I hop on my bike and pedal toward the mountains. Ancient ruins hem the dirt road.


Once the terrain becomes to steep to ride a bike, I continue on foot. The climb up the mountain is long. Very long.


Once I finally catch a glimpse of what I came for, it was all worth it. The terracotta army looks stunning!


Once I'm past my initial awe, however, I realize that there's nothing to do here.


I whip out The Gift of Life and begin re-reading it.


Stupid, I think to myself. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I can read books at home! Now I'm in China to see the sights... and maybe finally find my first romance.


I make my way to the Martial Arts Academy. All the guide books say you can't go to Shang Simla without visiting this most famous institution.


Inside I immediately spot a familiar face.

"Well, if it isn't the pretty lady that thinks I'm gross," Zhan greets me with a cheeky grin.

"That's me," I smile abashedly and blush. I'd almost forgotten how attractive and charming Zhan is. "I'm really sorry about yesterday," I say sheepishly.


Zhan beams. "No need to apologize, it's quite alright. In fact, I should thank you."

"Thank me?" I ask, not sure what to expect.

"Yes, I am very grateful to you," he replies, "Because seeing your bright smile just now cleared up all the lingering dark clouds and made today truly beautiful."

I blush furiously. So cheesy! But so cute, too.


I want a fresh start and decide to take his suggestion from yesterday to heart. We should talk about our interests. I am ready to pay attention to his talk about sports, and he politely listens as I go on about my painting and writing.


Our conversation turns back to flirtations quite naturally.


We gaze deeply into each other's eyes and I am completely lost in the moment.


Suddenly, Zhan turns and heads upstairs. I admire the intricate brushwork on one of the windows. It's so pretty.

Then, in a moment of absolute terror, I realize that I'm beginning to reek. I forgot to take a shower this morning!


Luckily there is a very nice bathroom right here at the Martial Arts Academy.


Once I'm freshened up, I go upstairs to see where Zhan has gotten to. I find him beating up a training dummy and looking damn good doing it!


As I watch, I start to feel the urge to try my hand at it too.


But all the training dummies at the academy are already in use!


"Zhan," I nudge, "Zhan, can I get a turn please?"

He ignores me.


I still have romance on my mind, however, so I engage him in another playful flirtation.


Now this got his attention!


He leans in to hug me and I revel in the closeness. He feels so good...


"Zhan," I whisper, "Zhan... can I..."


"Can I get a turn at the training dummy?"

Ha.


Now he stands there, watching me whack the wooden dummy. I'm sure I don't look nearly as competent as Zhan did, but I'm having a ton of fun, so I keep going.


I have no idea how much time has passed when I'm interrupted.

"Are you, by any chance, the writer of I Fell for You in Fall?" a young woman asks. When I nod, she enthuses, "I just knew it! I've read all your books! I have an entire shelf dedicated to them at home."


Sun Young Kim, as she introduces herself, is really sweet and we trade some local gossip and giggles before going our separate ways again.


By now, the sun is setting and Zhan has left. The academy is much less busy in the evenings, it seems, and so I manage to snatch up one of the training dummies outside.

I practice my kicks and punches for what feels like hours - or maybe it was no time at all, really. I don't know what it is about martial arts, but I just seem to have a knack for it.


Soon, I am awarded my first belt and feel a great sense of accomplishments. I can be a fierce tigress when I have a mind to!


You can't just train the body and forget about the mind, though - I settle down for a quick game of chess to wind down.


Finally, when it has grown pitch black outside, I make my way back to base camp.


For dinner I feel like having another tub of ice cream. Yes, I know that's all I've eaten since coming to China. Don't. Judge.


Finally, I enter my tiny sleeping chamber and get some well-earned rest.

11 comments:

  1. Damnit Gloria, suck face with Zhan!!! That's the whole point of this trip (in my mind at least)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS the whole point of the trip! Gloria needs to snag a single guy, even if she has to travel the world to do it! XD

      Delete
  2. Hahaha... almost Zhan... almost...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and... Sun Young Kim! It's funny how the World Adventures NPCs pop up in so many legacies, because time doesn't pass for them when your sims are not in their world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was Sun Young Kim Meela in your legacy? Or did she appear earlier on? Did she die from a mummy's curse...? My dumb brain can't really remember, sorry! :/

      Though thinking about this stuff makes me want to revisit your legacies from the beginning. I love them so much, I really should. And actually comment this time, too!

      Delete
    2. Haha, Sun Young Kim was the babymomma for one of my heirs in my first legacy. (She's pretty cute, after all.) Melissa later used the same sim for the same purpose, but whereas I jokingly cast her as "the bicycle of Shang Simla" and gave it little thought or depth, Melissa had Sun Young Kim fall in love and have a kid and also die of the mummy's curse. I'm not sure if you read either of those legacies but you thought of the mummy's curse so maybe you did!

      Delete
    3. Ah! That's it then! Yes, I read all of yours and Melissa's too (long before I started playing the RLC), but it was a while ago and my mind is a sieve >.< Now I really want to reread everything :D

      Delete
  4. Zhan is actually pretty nice! Time to get moving with her romance wishes! That's funny that she stole the training dummy while he was distracted. xD I guess she wasn't going to get a chance otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really wanted to work on her martial arts, I guess XD She has the disciplined trait, after all.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh that was hilarious! Gloria is something of an evil genius, she's even playing with our feelings LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sims go crazy for that training dummy! Too bad it can't be a baby daddy D:

      Delete