Thursday, November 17, 2016

1.14 Mysterious Attraction


Shang Simla, China.


 All my life this place has held a mysterious attraction to me and finally, finally I am actually here.


 Sounds of crickets and exotic birds create a melodious backdrop as I breathe in the moisture-laden air. I feel better already.


 The so-called base camp, a cheap hostel, holds no attraction for me right now. I want to explore!


I feel the strong urge to meet someone new, so my first goal is the busy marketplace Shang Simla is famous for.


 Everyone here gets around on bicycles, so I hop on the one provided to me and get on my way.


As I rhythmically push the pedals, I take in the amazing sights around me. The trees, the architecture! I am in awe.


As soon as I get off my bike, I go into one of the market stalls and introduce myself to the first person I see.

His name is Zhan Su and he sends my heart aflutter.


 He is a special merchant here, whatever that means. I am more interested in his intense gaze than any of the wares he has to sell.


Suddenly though, I want to go and buy some souvenirs quickly, before I forget. A fortune cookie machine sounds like just the thing!

While I'm browsing through the various goods, my mind wanders back to Zhan. I really felt like we had a connection, even though we barely exchanged two words. I wonder if our astrological signs are compatible!


Boldly, I go back up to him and ask.

"In your western zodiac?" he answers, "I'm a Gemini."

My smile quickly fades. Gemini. That's neutral to my Virgo. Not good, not bad.


He notices my frown and with a sly grin he says, "People might be superstitious here in Shang Simla, but I need no zodiac signs to tell me when I find a woman attractive."

And my smile is back.


We exchange more playful banter and I flirt confidently - I barely recognize myself!


 But when Zhan starts bragging about his accomplishments as an athlete, I can't suppress a yawn.


 I try to redirect the conversation back to our earlier flirtations, but Zhan rejects my advances. "I don't want to flirt with a woman who is so obviously bored by my interests," he admonishes.


"Shared passions are the seeds of a fruitful courtship," he continues, but I'm having none of this.


 "Gross!" I snap back at him as I walk out the doorway. "Keep your talk of seeds and passion to yourself, buddy."

Of course I get what he is talking about, but he doesn't need to be so annoyingly condescending about it!


I grab a book from the bookstore and sit down in the restaurant to read for a while. Hey, no one is complaining! It must be okay.


Then I realize how stupid I'm being. I can always read at home! Right now I'm in China and I want to see the sights!


I hop on my bike and start pedaling as fast as I can.


On my way, I pass the most picturesque landscapes and my mood immediately lifts again.


I arrive at the Scholar's Garden. It's stunning!


It's so calm and relaxing here. I immediately make my way to the chessboard. Sure, I've maxed out my logic skill, but I've got to keep practicing so I don't get rusty!


Surrounded by beautiful nature and enjoying my solitude, I play for hours, barely noticing the time.


There is always more to learn about the game of chess.


Slowly the sun begins to set.


I think it's getting time to head back to base camp!


Once there, I still have many steps to climb before I get to rest.


What a day! I'm so sleepy already.


I quickly grab something to eat. A tub of ice cream, because why not? I'm on vacation!


Finally, I make my way to one of the tiny rooms and fall asleep as soon as I slip into bed.


4 comments:

  1. Oh yay! This is a good way to hook her up with someone. Also, I'm glad she's cheering up. That last chapter was a brutal series of events.

    "Keep your talk of seeds and passion to yourself, buddy." <--The moment I died. I love that sass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! For once the constant wishes to travel are actually a good thing! Gloria has the disciplined trait, so she's been wanting to go to Shang Simla forever.

      Ha! Glad you liked it! Pretty proud of that one XD

      Delete
  2. Yay, China! This should shake things up. I've noticed that sims will often wish to "meet a local" while traveling, which could come in handy here.

    Those were some gorgeous pics, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she rolled that wish immediately, which was great! That's why she got to meet Zhan :)

      Shang Simla is so pretty!

      Delete